Awhile ago we shared our thoughts on what a honeymoon registry is, and why we think having one is a great idea. We quickly realized there are TONS of honeymoon registry services out there. Since then we’ve tried out five of the most popular online honeymoon registries testing out their features and analyzing their costs. After gathering tons of non-biased information we’ve prepared a honeymoon registry comparison to help you decide which honeymoon registry is best for you.
September 2015 * Honeymoon Registry Review Update *
A great deal has changed since we wrote our first honeymoon registry comparison, especially since honeymoon registry sites are continuously adding new features or changing prices to stay competitive. We know our couples have enough to do without spending long hours scouring the little details of each registry site, so we’ve done the research for you. Read on to see how we’ve broken down the key features you should compare when choosing the honeymoon registry site that’s best for you. Since different features are important to different couples, we’ve compared five important categories on five different honeymoon registries. The sites we’re comparing are:
The five categories we’re comparing are:
The scoop on Honeyfund: Encourages guests to print out a certificate of the item they “purchased” and give it to you in person along with a check, for which there is no charge. If guests would rather pay online, however, Honeyfund uses PayPal or WePay. The standard fee is 2.8% plus .30 deducted from your gift. In this case, you pay the fee, rather than your guests. Their standard registry is free, but includes ads. If you don’t want the ads there are upgrades available, the cost depends on the features you want. Unfortunately, you have to sign up to find out the costs.
The scoop on Wanderable: Direct gifts to you by cash or check are free of charge, however, if you choose one of the gifts from their merchant network, there is a fee of 2.5% which you can choose to absorb, or add to the cost of the gift.
The scoop on Travelers Joy: They have reduced their fees and now include the option for cash or check gifts that are free, as the others do. Gifts purchased with a credit card will be charged a fee of 2.95%+ $0.99 to cover credit card processing. You can choose whether to pay the credit card fee or pass it along to the guest. The guest will always pay the $0.99. Travelers Joy now offers 5 day a week phone support, 24 hr email support, and support for guests who want to purchase a gift over the phone, rather than online. All of their features are free, there are no upgrades or add-ons.
The skinny on the other two sites:
Whereas all of the sites use SSL, which encrypts the data before it is transmitted, some have gone the extra mile to ensure your guest transactions are as safe as possible. Honeymoon Wishes, Wanderable and Travelers Joy are the only sites that have implemented the most stringent methods possible by being PCI compliant. That means their security meets strict standards comparable to PayPal’s.
We have to admit, Wanderable swept us off our feet in the style department. Showcasing a gorgeous, modern site, this registry has 5 layouts, 28 themes, 19 colors, and 10 different fonts for you the user to have complete freedom to custom design the site to suit your style and personality. Below are the choices of registry layouts that you can create with Wanderable, you can see other samples of their registries here.
Here’s our rundown of the style features of the other four sites:
- Traveler’s Joy is the style runner up in our book. This site offers users a choice between a grid or list layout, with the option of 3 different fonts and a variety of 10 color schemes.
- Honeymoon Wishes offers you the use of the most “complete” website. Users have a choice between a one-page or multi-page personal website, a blog and photo album. Honeymoon Wishes also presents 19 theme options, although their themes are not as fresh and modern as the other sites, in our opinion.
- Honeymoon Pixie offers only one layout, but users can choose from 10 pre-designed color schemes.
- Honeyfund presents several options to improve the look of your personal site, but they each come at an increased price point, from $19.99 to $99.00. Here’s what they look like:
The two best sites for international couples are Wanderable and Honeyfund because they allow a choice of international currencies. The other three sites allow gifts from anywhere but keep their registries to U.S. dollars. Here’s the rundown of the three remaining sites:
- Honeymoon Wishes: Guests from around the world can purchase gifts. The site specifies, however that funds must be mailed to a U.S. address, or deposited into a U.S. bank account or PayPal, unless they go directly to the couple’s destination.
- Honeymoon Pixie: Guests from around the world can purchase gifts, but funds are in U.S. currency only. There is a $30.00 fee for international gifts.
- Traveler’s Joy: International wire transfers are $30.00, plus 2% ($20.00 max) fee for international gifts.
Each of the registry sites has a little something special to set themselves apart, whether it’s social sharing or printable thank-you notes. I’ve listed the sites in order of the amount of free extras they provide, but the winner of this category truly depends on what you find most valuable.
- Honeymoon Wishes: Because Honeymoon Wishes is partnered with Sandals, Beaches, Carnival, and other travel providers, their registry site offers users the option to purchase a real gift from a resort . For example, if a guest buys you a massage, the money goes directly to the resort’s spa to pay for it. There are no worries about keeping your registry money separate so you don’t accidentally spend it on household expenses! Honeymoon Wishes also provides a complete wedding website with a photo album that guests can print photos from, free of charge. There are also announcement cards, email templates and thank you notes.
- Wanderable: Features an iPhone app that will create personalized thank-you post cards from your own photos. Their registry site offers users the option to purchase a curated gift from vetted merchants and featured properties. Wanderable also allows guests to give a direct gift with check or cash for no fee.
- Honeymoon Pixie: Offers downloadable announcement cards that you can print on Avery postcards available at any office supply store. Another unique feature is the ability to record a personalized video for your honeymoon registry using your webcam.
- Traveler’s Joy: Has the benefit of being the official honeymoon registry for The Knot, Wedding Wire, and WeddingChannel.com. This allows your guests to find your registry through a simple Google search (an option that can be turned off if you prefer more privacy).
- Honeyfund: Since they promote themselves as being a low fee option, we didn’t find that they offered much in the way of free extras. They have a “honeymoon calculator” on their site to estimate the cost of your trip and direct gifts allowed. Any other extras they offer can be accessed through the purchase of three levels of upgrades.
Which honeymoon fund is the best? It depends on what you want out of it! Fees, Security, Style, and International Options all have different importance to different couples, so choose the one that best fits your style.
That’s a wrap on our notes comparing honeymoon registry sites! We hope it is a helpful resource for you sweethearts out there making plans to tie the knot. Sailing off, or taking flight into the sunset for your honeymoon should be as stress-free as possible; and a honeymoon registry is a superb way to save for a trip where you will make lifetime memories! We wish you the best in deciding on the honeymoon registry that is perfect for you. Feel free to share this comparison with friends and family who might find it helpful!