recently attended an exclusive, invitation-only Romance Forum in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, for selected top agents across the U.S. and learned a lot about the Punta Cana romantic experiences that are available.
I also had decided to start a monthly blog focusing on locations and specific resorts that would be perfect for couples planning honeymoons, destination weddings or romantic getaways.
So it made sense to start this series with one of the top resorts in Punta Cana, the Excellence El Carmen. This newly-built resort is absolutely fabulous. Punta Cana is easy to get to and the resort is only about twenty minutes from the airport.
It is a beautiful adult only, all suite and all-inclusive resort set on a gorgeous beach in a palm grove that is absolutely breathtaking. It has twelve fabulous restaurants, each with its own personality as well as sixteen bars. The resort has a wonderful state of the art fitness studio and a world class spa.
I travel to many resorts to make sure I have nice choices for my couples and this one gets very high marks in my book! I could have spent a month on the beach, it is so lovely. The service is absolutely excellent.
Excellence in Service
To me, this resort is properly named Excellence because that is exactly what the entire staff strives to deliver and what the facilities exemplify. I actually had the hotel manager escort me to my room which was a nice start to my few days there.
There are several rooms to choose from, many with their own private pool. Many rooms are the very popular swim out rooms where you go from your patio right into the pool. Another of the favorites is the Two Story Rooftop Terrace Suite with Plunge Pool. Even the least expensive junior suite is spacious, beautifully appointed and well equipped.
It had been a while since I had been to Punta Cana and it is obvious that the destination is getting better and better. The biggest difference I noticed is the language barrier is much less challenging than it was on my last visit. More and more people have the English language mastered and communication is much better. I also noticed that there are now so many things to do off the resort and many lovely resorts are opening, such as this one.
Excellence in Entertainment Options
Here are a few of the activities you can enjoy if you are able to tear yourself away from your resort for a few hours:
- Monkey Land Explorer and Zip Line – You journey into the mountains of Anamuya where you will have a chance to interact with the playful squirrel monkeys and then take an amazing two mile zip line down the mountain.
- Punta Cana Discovery: Dune Buggy and Catamaran Cruise – You ride a 4 x 4 buggy through the Dominican countryside and then board a catamaran to explore the beautiful waters with an opportunity to swim and snorkel. You will stop to visit a farm where chocolate, cinnamon and coffee are harvested and processed. A traditional Dominican lunch with an open bar will be served.
- Horseback Riding Adventure – You visit a beautiful horse ranch where professional guides will accompany you along a beautiful and peaceful beach away from everything as you become one with your horse and nature.
- Historical day trip to beautiful Santo Domingo – This is a full day tour lasting ten hours. Your guide will take you to view some 5th century colonial monuments, visit Las Damas Street and see Diego Columbus Alcazar, the first cathedral built in the new world. You will stop by the National Presidential Palace and see fantastic views of downtown. Lunch is at a traditional Dominican restaurant and you will have a chance for some local shopping.
Travel & Room Options
Here are some sample prices. The rates listed include round trip air from the indicated city and a 7-night all-inclusive stay for two people.*
If you are able to travel in the fall which is the most economical time for a tropical vacation:
- Room category – Junior Suite Pool View
- With air from Charlotte – $3,688.55 for 2
- With air from Baltimore Washington – $3,931.75 for 2
- With air from JFK New York – $4,093.75 for 2
- With air from Los Angeles – $4,071.75 for 2
- Room category – Terrace Suite with Plunge Pool
- With air from Charlotte – $4,215.90 for 2
- With air from Baltimore Washington – $4,459.10 for 2
- With air from JFK New York – $4,621.10 for 2
- With air from Los Angeles – $4,599.10
If you would like to get out of unfavorable weather in the winter, here are some costs for March travel:
- Room Category – Junior Suite Pool view
- With air from Charlotte – $5,410.61 for 2
- With air from Baltimore Washington – $5,541.81 for 2
- With air from JFK New York – $5,353.81 for 2
- With air from Los Angeles – $5,530.81 for 2
- Room Category -Terrace Suite with Plunge Pool
- With air from Charlotte – $5,735.69 for 2
- With air from Baltimore Washington – $5,870.89 for 2
- With air from JFK New York – $5,678.89 for 2
- With air from Los Angeles – $5,855.89 for 2
*These rates are subject to change until they are locked in. Winter packages can be locked in for as little as a $400.00 deposit.
I met with the wedding team at the resort and was impressed with the beautiful weddings they orchestrate. Many options are available and I can help you plan the perfect wedding for your specific wishes. I can also offer a special that is available only from my agency for midweek weddings. Please ask me for details if you have any interest.
Whether it is a honeymoon, a destination wedding or a romantic getaway, this resort has everything anyone could want.