After you get engaged then comes the excitement of planning for the big day. There are so many decisions to be made.
What’s the best wedding month for your event? What kind of venue do you want? Do you want a large wedding in a very large church with a fabulous reception? Do you want a small intimate wedding with family and just a few friends? Do you want to get married outside? What time of day would you like the event to take place? Do you want a Destination Wedding since the average traditional wedding today in most parts of the country is over $30,000?
So many plans to make!
Selecting the Wedding Month
Let’s tackle one question and walk through some options you have for selecting the best month for your wedding.
Here are some thoughts about choosing the best wedding month for you and your personality:
- January – This is a wonderful way to start the new year. In many parts of the country it is cold and if you are having a large wedding, what if it snows? Many brides wear big warm beautiful hats and so do the bridesmaids. The gowns may have long sleeves. Many choose dark colors, anything goes these days.
- February – This month is popular because of Valentine’s Day. February is the month for romance and what is more romantic than your wedding? If you have a local wedding it is a great month to celebrate and run off to a beautiful tropical destination for your honeymoon.
- March – When you think of March you think of greens for colors. Many of Irish decent choose this month. In some areas of the country, it is beginning to be warmer. Winter is almost over.
- April – This is the month many choose. Spring flowers and new growth and such a lovely time of year! Pastel colors rule this month.
- May – April showers bring May flowers for this beautiful month. It is very popular and it is beautiful all over our country. It is so popular that you really want to get your venue early should you decide on May.
- June – June is also one of the most popular months for a wedding. You never can predict for sure but you can usually depend on nice weather. Summer is such a happy time and people tend to want to be out and about.
- July – It is the month of Independence Day and a great time of year to celebrate. No matter what part of the country, it should be balmy and warm. A great time for strapless and sleeveless dresses for the bride and the bridesmaids.
- August – Another popular month for the big day. Many brides getting married in August are choosing light grey, butter yellow and orange for bridesmaids these days. Of course, it is your wedding and you choose what you like!
- September – What a beautiful month to get married – the beginning of Fall. Many new beginnings happen in September. Also a time of year that colors begin to get a little darker for bridesmaids.
- October – Harvest and pumpkins come to mind for a local wedding. Golds, greens, and burgundies are thought of for colors. It is starting to get crisp in the evenings.
- November – It is the month when we are all thankful. What is more thankful than that you have found the person that you want to spend the rest of your life with. Also a wonderful family time. Another great event for family and friends to gather.
- December – the last month of the year. Why not end the year on a great note. Christmas Eve is a very popular time for a wedding. Think of reds and greens for colors.
Selecting the Wedding Date
Once you choose the month it will be time to choose the date.
Is there a special date for the two of you? Did you meet on the 15th or 20th of the month. Do you want to be married on your birthday? Do you want to get married on or near a holiday? Do you want your date to be the same as the month such as September 9th or October 10th?
Many choices, but choose a date that has a special meaning to the two of you.
Matching the Date to Available Locations
There are so many things to consider when planning your wedding date. I am finding every year more and more couples are doing destination weddings. It is a huge cost savings for sure. More than anything else it is stress-free and what is nicer than celebrating in a beautiful tropical destination?
Usually when couples hesitate it is because of concern for family members. Do your parents want that big local wedding? I mention to my couples that this is your wedding and you should choose how and where you would like to get married. Many that have family concerns have a celebration when they return home – maybe a barbeque or a party that is much less costly than a local wedding. Many family members and friends travel to the destination and the celebration lasts longer than one day – it is wonderful for everyone!
Once the bride and groom choose a destination wedding then it is time to choose the resort. That is my specialty since I travel to the islands often.
The right resort is key for your wedding and your honeymoon. This is my area of expertise and I like to have happy couples. I work with couples almost every day and it is my passion. I pride myself on keeping up with the resorts and helping couples chose the one that is right for them. I know the best resorts in the islands and keep up with them and their competitors. I know resort personnel and depending on the size of the wedding, I sometimes travel to see the wedding and offer any assistance needed.
I specialize in Island weddings and although I have helped with weddings all over the world now I limit myself to Island weddings. It is what I know best and as I mentioned earlier, I want happy couples. Of course, if you are having the large local wedding, I can help with your honeymoon in paradise.
I am not sure if I mentioned it, but my service is completely FREE TO YOU!!!!!!
I often tell couples that if you do not use a great travel professional, you are still paying for the service since resorts include the amount they pay for agent commissions in the prices they charge. So take advantage of my over thirty years of experience and let me help you plan your destination wedding or honeymoon.