There are many gorgeous islands perfect for an island wedding. It might even be difficult to choose THE one! Here, we have compiled some of our favorite places for an island wedding to help you narrow down your choices.
An Island Wedding in Jamaica
If you’re considering a destination wedding, then you’ll want to fully explore options for getting married in Jamaica. Jamaica creates a wonderful setting for a destination wedding.
It’s simple to get legally married in Jamaica. Residency requirements are easy to meet – you need only be in the country 24 hour prior to your wedding day, if all paperwork has been completed. There are no blood tests required and it is an English-speaking country which makes everything easier. Visit the US Embassy in Jamaica for more details.
Jamaica is a beautiful country filled with stunning beaches, tropical flowers, sunshine, and warm and friendly people. The all-inclusive resorts that abound on the island perform many weddings each week and that experience insures that yours will be trouble-free and everything that you dream.
There are many diverse areas and resorts in Jamaica and you can find the best ones for you, particularly if you enlist the services of a good travel agent to guide you through the process.
The Most Popular Areas for Jamaican Weddings
- Montego Bay – Most of the flights come in to Montego Bay, so it would be very convenient for both you and your guests. It is a great area with fantastic beaches and terrific nightlife on and off the resorts. It is fun to take a little trip to the famous “Hip Strip”, a great place for nightlife for locals and tourists. The other plus is your guests can easily plan a short stay since there are many direct flights from all over the U.S.
- Ocho Rios – You may decide on the beautiful mountainous area of Ocho Rios. The beaches are a little smaller but still gorgeous. The foliage is amazing and Ocho Rios is also home to the famous Dunns River Falls. There are many activities available such as zip lining, swimming with dolphins, taking a Jamaican bobsled ride or horseback riding on the beach.
- Negril – Home to the amazing seven-mile beach, Negril is perfect for the couple that is laid back and passionate about the beach and water. It is also all about reggae!
- Southern Coast – You could also get married on the very remote southern coast of Jamaica at the beautiful Sandals Whitehouse Resort. This resort is the only one in the area. If you love nature, flowers and beautiful beaches, this resort may be the perfect one for you.
My Advice for an Island Wedding in Jamaica
The Jamaican people are warm, friendly and hospitable. This hospitality turns the process of getting married in Jamaica into a family event of international proportion. The resort staff and local residents will do everything they can to make you feel like the most special couple in the world.
But before you fly off with wedding dress in hand, you’ll need to do a bit of planning and preparation to create that perfect destination wedding experience.
My best advice is to have a travel professional, who specializes in destination weddings and honeymoons, help with all the details. By offloading the planning details to a professional, you’ll be able to focus on your event and enjoy the wedding day.
If you’d like assistance planning your dream wedding, I’ve love to help!
An Island Wedding in Barbados
Are you considering a destination wedding? Why not get married in Barbados? It is an amazing location that offers a wide range of benefits for today’s bride and groom.
A Barbados Overview
Barbados is a beautiful Caribbean island with 360 beaches, one for each day of the year. It features friendly people and an equally friendly climate with sun-filled days and balmy nights and has a long and rich history.
Unlike most Caribbean islands which are volcanic in origin, Barbados is a coral island and has beautiful caves which you can explore through organized tours.
Barbados is a little off the beaten path, but promises to become much more popular with the recent addition of Sandals Resorts newest property. Daily non-stop flights from Miami and weekly non-stops from Charlotte make the island easily accessible. Don’t worry about a language barrier either, since English is the official language.
Honeymoon & destination wedding couples that prefer calm waters and endless white sandy beaches, you’ll enjoy the Western and Southern Coasts. The Eastern coast is the perfect spot for surfing, windsurfing, and water sports for those that prefer a more exotic appeal of rugged cliffs and big waves.
Barbados is one of the most developed islands in the region, making it one of the safest to visit too! You can even use public transportation to explore the island!
By day explore the beaches, rolling countryside, charming villages, and old plantations that represent the colonial past of the island. Then by night, the island heats up with calypso music, rum, and a vibrant party scene.
Things to See & Do
If you enjoy nature, Barbados has plenty to offer. From the vast naturally occurring system of rivers, caves and lakes that supply clear drinking water at Harrison’s Cave to swimming with sea turtles.
This island is also perfect for Water Sports like snorkeling, scuba diving, surfing (along the Eastern coast), sailing, kitesurfing, parasailing, paddle boarding, and more.
Lastly, if you enjoy Historical Tours, visit stately plantations for a trip back in time, see the towering lighthouses that once led ships to safety, tour a rum factory, or just explore the historic towns and sites that have played an important role of this island’s past.
Barbados Resort Options
Barbados now hosts two Sandals all-inclusive resorts – Sandals Barbados and Sandals Royal Barbados. Sandals all-inclusive offerings include premium beverages, unlimited fine dining, many activities both on land and on water, as well as other entertainment options. The gorgeous sunsets are included, too!
Regardless of which resort you choose, you get to experience both resorts for the price of one. The resorts are right next to each other making it easy to enjoy all of the amenities, restaurants and beaches.
Sandals Barbados in St. Lawrence Gap
Accommodations at Sandals Barbados include:
- 3 unique villages including new Swim Up Suites
- 11 Restaurants offering 5 Star Global Gourmet dining
- 3 pools and 2 whirlpools
- 7 bars, including a swim up bar
- option for Butler Elite service
- private Tranquility Soaking Tubs™ for two on most patios and terraces
- vibrant night life
Sandals Royal Barbados in St. Lawrence Gap
The Royal Experience at Sandals Royal Barbados includes:
- rooftop pool and bar
- 4-lane bowling alley
- men’s only barbershop
- Skypool Suites, Swim-up Suites, and Millionaire Suites
- 5 restaurants specializing in international cuisine
- 15,000 square foot spa
The rooms at both resorts are gorgeous. The décor is lovely with soft colors and beautiful paintings – a perfect place to relax.
In the evening the resorts come alive with dancing fire lanterns and lively bars and entertainment. There is a wonderful energy in the air.
The Sandals wedding team is amazing and will take care of all the details for your entire stay. And your wedding pictures will be the envy of everyone you know.
Barbados Wedding Requirements
Requirements for a Barbados marriage are simple. You only need passports and certified copies of birth certificates. However, a certified copy of the divorce decree is needed if either of you are divorced. Visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade of Barbados for more information.
Are You Ready to Get Married in Barbados? Barbados is an incredible destination wedding location, because it offers a fabulous vacation for all who attend. Your friends and family can join you for a few days to enjoy your wedding and the beautiful resort, and then leave you to your perfect honeymoon in this lovely place.
Other incredible Caribbean beaches perfect for an island wedding include:
- Sandals Emerald Bay Resort, Exuma – Secluded and secluded… the beaches on Exuma in the Bahamas are perfect white sand and calm crystal waters. With the added bonus of close proximity to the USA.
- Grace Bay, Turks & Caicos – The colorful reefs, white sands, and shimmering waters has taken Grace Bay from a little known paradise to one of the most popular beaches on the island. Yet this area maintains their reputation of being a secluded and exclusive Caribbean destination.
- Half Moon Bay, Antigua – A remote beach found on the easternmost tip of Antigua perfect for thrill-seekers and those who just like a beautiful beach alike. Here you’ll find some of the islands best snorkeling, swimming, and peaceful relaxation. And not to mention there are 364 other amazing beaches on Antigua, one for every day of the year!!
- Palm Beach, Aruba– Relax on the miles of white sugary sand beaches or frolic in the calm waters of Palm Beach, Aruba.
- Seven Mile Beach, Cayman Islands – With chalky white sand and 80 degree water this beach is pure paradise. And the gorgeous barrier reefs call to divers all over the world!
- Seven Mile Beach, Negril– Known as the “Capital of Casual” for the laid-back lifestyle the beaches here offer pristine white sands, crystal blue waters, and the dramatic rugged cliffs. Here you’ll find excellent snorkeling and even cliff diving.
Do Jamaica, Barbados, or any of these other incredible places sound like the perfect Caribbean getaway for your island wedding? If so, visit our page on destination wedding packages for more information, or contact Eileen directly!